RESEALING PROBATE OR LETTERS OF ADMINISTRATION OF AN ESTATE
When a grant of probate or letters of administration has been obtained in another Commonwealth country it must be resealed here before the assets of the estate in Guyana can be administered.
Personal attendance at the Guyana Revenue Authority to declare the estate is required. If the executor or administrator is not in Guyana s/he can appoint an attorney to obtain the resealing on her/his behalf.
Resealing usually takes between 6 to 12 weeks from the time we have been provided with all the relevant documents and information.
1. Documents and information required:
1. Sealed and certified copy of grant
2. Certified copy of death certificate
3. Copy of will (if resealing probate)
4. Details of assets and liabilities of the deceased in Guyana (immovable properties; motor vehicles; bank accounts; insurance policies; shares; amounts receivable and due etc.), together with originals or copies of transports; certificates of title; certificates of registration; share certificates etc.)
5. Valuations of the assets and liabilities in Guyana as at the date of death.
2. We arrange for publication in the Official Gazette of notice of the intention to apply for re-sealing if there is no objection or opposition within 14 days of publication.
3. We prepare an inventory of the assets and liabilities of the estate in Guyana, a statement of assets and liabilities and declaration and deliver them to the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) with the a copy of the grant to be resealed, copy will (if resealing probate) copies of the death certificate and Official ` notice and the certificates of valuation.
4. We arrange for the attendance of the executor, administrator or her/his attorney at the GRA to declare the estate.
5. The GRA issues a notice of the process fee payable (½% of the gross value of the estate).
6. When the process fee has been paid we uplift the certificate of payment and the statement of assets and liabilities as accepted by the GRA.
7. We prepare, arrange for execution and file the application for resealing and oath of executor, administrator or her/his attorney, statement of assets and liabilities as accepted by the GRA and certificate of payment of process fee with supporting documents.
8. We uplift the resealed grant with the will (if resealing probate) and statement of assets and liabilities attached. The executor, administrator or her/his attorney may then administer the estate in Guyana.
9. Our fees are 5% of the gross value of the estate plus 16% VAT and disbursements.
If there is anything that you need explaining more fully, please do not hesitate to ask a member of our estates staff or a partner. We will of course be happy to provide an update at any time.